Thursday, January 07, 2010

About the 2010 Senate Race

Word has arrived through blogs and press releases that Senator Ken Jacobsen will face a Primary challenge in 2010 from David Frockt, an attorney who lives in our district. Mr. Frockt has also called me to let me know that he was starting his run. This gives me an opportunity to review the mission of the 46th District Democrats:

The purpose of the organization shall be to promote citizen participation in the Democratic Party, advance the 46th District Democrats’ platform, and support and work for the election of Democratic candidates and candidates for nonpartisan office who demonstrably espouse the principles contained in that platform.

As chair of our organization, it is my job to be fair to all candidates who seek our endorsement. Mr. Frockt called me yesterday to let me know that he had made his announcement, and mentioned that he had observed my efforts to be fair during the 2009 election. I promised to him that I would continue to be fair during 2010.

Senator Ken Jacobsen has been in Olympia since he was first elected to the State House in 1982. David Frockt is an attorney working on corporate accountability. As Democrats, we welcome discussion and debate. It looks to me like we're going to get some good discussions and debate during this contest.

I look forward to hearing from all candidates who are willing to put "Prefers the Democratic Party" when they file for office, and what I will be most interested in hearing is how their experience and their values will help us push our platform in Olympia.

The endorsement vote will be held during our June meeting. There will also be a Democratic Nomination vote by our PCO's, likely at that meeting as well. May the best campaign win.

No comments: