Monday, May 18, 2009

Legislative Update from Representative Phyllis Gutierrez Kenney

Dear Neighbor:

I have spent the last week wrapping up work in Olympia and preparing to resume my normal life here at home. The legislative session was tough but we managed to create a responsible, budget that protects key programs. We also prepared our state for a 21st century economy. I am particularly proud of the steps we took to build a transportation system that will create jobs and help us emerge stronger from this recession.

The thoughtful feedback and creative ideas many of you shared made a real difference in my voting decisions. I’ll continue to share as much information as I can about what we accomplished and talk about what that means during the coming months.

You told me that protecting working families should be a top priority so I fought to create jobs and offer more training opportunities. We all recognize that when workers receive family wage jobs and benefits, they’re more productive and offer more not only to their employers, but also to their communities.

Through a combination of state and federal money, we’ll be jumpstarting our economy this construction season, building new roads and buildings and laying the groundwork for future economic development in our state. This means family wage jobs immediately and better prospects for attracting and keeping good-paying jobs in the future.

Of course, a lot of folks need short-term help to bridge the gap between jobs. During hard times when working families need it most, we have coordinated with the Obama administration to provide added funding for unemployment benefits, increasing the weekly amounts and expanding the training benefits program.

Unemployed workers will now be eligible to receive unemployment benefits while training for new jobs. We have also opened the program to disabled workers, honorably discharged military personnel and low-income workers.

Support for small businesses was also a priority. We expanded the Shared Work Program, which helps businesses weather tough times by helping employers temporarily cut payroll costs while keeping their skilled workers. Meanwhile, employees can still receive a paycheck, partial unemployment and health benefits.

In the coming weeks, I’ll share more information with you through this e-memo. You’ll also find me at community events and I’m always available if you’d like to meet in person.

I look forward to hearing from you. Your voice keeps our democracy working.

Here is the actual budget bill for 2009-11 operating budget.

Here are the 2009-11 operating budget highlights.

Here is the 2009-11 operating budget agency detail.

Here is the list of transportation projects funded in the 46th Legislative District:

  • WA-522/I-5 to I-405 (multimodal improvements) in Seattle - $544,000
  • I-5 Reverse Express Lane to/from WA-522 (safety) in Seattle - $615,000
  • I-5/5th Avenue to NE 92nd Street (Noise Wall) in Seattle - $4,601,000
  • Concrete Rehabilitation Program (Nickel Funds) on I-5 in Seattle - $7,237,000

Here is the list of projects funded through the Capital Budget in the 46th Legislative District, totaling $10,224,000:

  • Department of Community, Trade, & Economic Development
    • Community Center for Sand Point Housing (Building Communities Fund Grants) - $350,000
  • Community & Technical College System
    • North Seattle CC (Facility Repairs "A") - $709,000
    • North Seattle Community College (Minor Works - Preservation) - $487,000
    • North Seattle Community College (Minor Works - Program) - $702,000
    • North Seattle Community College: Employment Resource Center - $5,000,000
    • North Seattle Community College: Technology Bldg Renewal - $2,976,000

My home page | Contact me | House Democrats Home | Washington State Legislature

Thank you for subscribing to my newsletter. To send any comments, or to unsubscribe from this newsletter, please go to my E-memo page.

No comments: