Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Thanks from Rusty Williams

My friends,

It is my sincere wish to thank you for your help and support in the re-naming of the West Seattle Bridge after Jeanette Williams. The 46th District Democrats along with their colleagues in the 34th, 36th, 37th and 43rd legislative districts voted 546-11 in favor of the renaming. Mayor Nickels, who up until that point had been resisting the nomenclature, signed off on the City Council resolution almost immediately upon its receipt. This was such a shocker that when His Honor gave me the news at a political event we were both at, I actually hugged him. I hugged Greg Nickels. This is very disturbing. Regardless, it is now a reality and you have yourselves to thank for making our city a more honorable community.

As I said in my address to the City Council upon passage, Mrs. Williams, a well documented pioneer and champion for women's rights would see this not as a personal honor, but as a significant event in that a large and important civic structure was named after a women. Something of a rarity. So please accept my ardent thanks from my family and from women everywhere.

Rusty Williams
Democrat

No comments: