Monday, October 05, 2009

Notes from the Chair, October, 2009

The Demogram has been published, and here are the "Notes from the Chair".

All of us are constantly learning from our history, to try and improve things that we may not have done as well as we hoped or to avoid making mistakes. I think the September Endorsement Meeting went much better in some ways than the June meeting, and I’ll continue to try and improve the way things are done.

The district too is exploring what we can do better. I would like to point out one of the ways that we are evolving and changing. Since probably 1995, Janet Miller has maintained a database of members and activists who have attended our precinct caucuses and other events. With my technical skills, this is one of the things I have most wanted to work on since I got involved with the district in 2004. I’m planning on making it a more robust and integrated system that will help us track our membership, events and budget. I would like to thank Janet for doing such a great job over the last 14 years. I’m nervous about taking this on, because just over the last two months I know how much work it has been.

We’re planning for the 2010 Caucus Cycle and Budget cycle. According to the rules passed by the State Committee, we will not be holding Precinct Caucuses this coming year. That’s a big change, and in some ways a positive one. But conducting the LD Caucus without the preparatory work normally started at the precinct level will take some extra work. We need to develop a platform drafting process that takes input from the grassroots and makes a meaningful update to our 2008 Platform. We will need to elect delegates and alternates to the County Convention and the State Convention. And we need to build our party by proving once again that the 46th LD is one of the most effective party organizations in the state.

If everyone pitches in, 2010 will be a bright spot in our history, where we hold true to our progressive principles and push the country further into the 21st Century. Starting in North Seattle, of course!

Chad Lupkes
Chair, 46th District Democrats

P.S., Some of you might have heard about my bike crash. I’m fine, don’t worry. But I wanted to use a point of personal privilege here to thank my personal community. The crash happened about a block away from NW Hospital, and I saw several people come out of their yards to ask if I was ok. I was well enough to walk to the ER. Everyone has been supportive, and my friends in cyberspace didn’t even notice. At least they say they didn’t notice. I love this community.

Read the rest of the October Demogram here.

No comments: